Little Loves of my Life

Little Loves of my Life

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Grump




Hand+Foot+Mouth=GRUMPY

So, this virus called "hand, foot, and mouth" (otherwise known as the coxsackievirus) really, really stinks. Apparently this is what Jude had over the last 5 days. It was MISERABLE for him and for all of us. I know that Creed had this when he was little but it wasn't difficult at all and he got over it quickly. Not Ju Ju. He had a high fever (103), wouldn't eat, drink, or sleep, cried for 3 days, was miserable, and had ulcers all in his mouth, cheeks, and lips.

It was AWFUL. Our pediatrician saw him on Wednesday and at that time all he had was a fever, some vague "virus" , and an ear infection (no mouth ulcers, no extreme irritability, etc). By Friday (our Dr. was out of town), I was at the am/pm clinic BALLING my eyes out to this Dr. whom I don't even know BEGGING for help. 

My other two children have NEVER acted this sick...ever. He was dehydrating, and hadn't slept for 3 days. So, after I gathered myself, all I was explaining to the unknown doctor that I promise "I normally have it together." He was quite sympathetic and told me Jude was going to be okay (despite the fact that he had been SCREAMING his head off in the office for a full hour and a half) and that he was going to make it. I just felt like he was wasting away (he had not eaten a bite of food for three days). 

Fast forward three and a half days and we are feeling much better (thanks to a few meds to help with the pain) and I think we are on the mend. 

Through this I am praising God that something as simple as a virus is the hardest thing my children have ever been through physically. Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with healthy children. Be with those who have so much more severe illnesses.

4 comments:

Dana said...

oh poor jude. I'm glad he is feeling better. But i'm jealous of ya'll weekend with the Lee's. I miss everyone and will be home in 1 month!!

ashley lee... said...

yay jude! glad you're feeling better. by the way, the pics of your sister look great...as always. love ya!

Shelly said...

Poor guy, and poor Mama.... it's tough when they are that sick. Glad to hear he's feeling better!

Unknown said...

Hugs to you Sunny! Poor Jude! Caroline doesn't do well with illness either, so I imagine it's because they haven't been home long enough to feel that bad! Prayers for all of you :)