Little Loves of my Life

Little Loves of my Life

Friday, December 5, 2008

The "talk"

As we do every year, we went and saw the best Santa Clause in our area. He tells the children about Jesus and explains that He is the real reason we have Christmas. You also get an extended time with Santa. This year we didn't even have to wait in line. It was so great and so sweet. Santa wanted to talk to Rinny but she got straight down to business "I want an Ariel costume...Where are the reindeer, where are the elves?." Creed took a little more time to chat. Finally, Creed told Santa that he wanted a guitar, a helicopter, and could he please help his brother get home. Gulp. 

Creed has been asking lots of questions about lots of things lately. We've been studying in Bible class about how God is the only God. About how even though you cannot see Him, He is very real. So, Creed has been questioning that alot lately. He has also been feeling more conviction and always wants to talk about baptism. Un-related he has been asking "Is Santa real?". My answer is always "what do you think?" Micah and I have talked about it and we realized that soon we would need to answer his question truthfully because we don't want "Santa" to bring confusion about God and the reality of the True God. (I know many of you may differ in your approach to how you teach your children; some of my friends have never done santa, some of you will do santa for alot longer than we have....this is just simply how we have felt we need to handle it...that's my disclaimer :)

It happened today. At lunch, Creed asked the question, again. (of course, Micah had stepped away from the table to take Rinn to potty...urgh). I just explained to him that there had been a real Saint Nicholas but that now, it is in our imagination. I also talked about how we have been answering that question with "what do you think?" because we never want to confuse him and we want to be truthful. I told him Jesus was real and we know that because the Bible talks about Him, we see His work in our lives, etc.etc. but that Santa was just in our imagination and that mommy's and daddy's help have fun on Christmas that way. We can have all sorts of fun in our imagination, I said. 

It was really a sweet talk. I think he understands and I think we will still have lots of fun for Christmas imagining fun and crazy things together. My big boy is growing up. 

7 comments:

Kristi said...

I've been asking those same questions! lol!
Seriously, thanks for the wisdom here...

Emily said...

I know it's a little early, but I've been wondering about how to handle that one day, too. I like your approach!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny, it's Jamie (Martin) Howell! I followed your blog from Stephanie's. :o)

1) Where is this Santa that talks about Jesus?!? I love that and had no idea any of them even did that!

2) I think the way you explained Santa Claus is totally right on. I know Caroline is too little to understand Santa right now but I now feel ready to have that discussion with her when the time comes. Thank you for your wise counsel!

3) I love reading your blog! You have such a precious family. :o)

Anonymous said...

Well good grief, Sunshine! This is your momma and didn't realize you knew all that about Santa!?! I guess he can stop coming to my house now??? I've often wondered if I should break the news to you. I love you and I think you are a (almost) perfect mom. I'm with Creed on getting his brother home as well.

Shannon said...

Sunny, as I said last night wah! that it's over for Creed, but good job in the way you broke it to him. Please keep him from talking to Tatum about this I really am not ready to give up MY fun.

Love ya!

Lindsay said...

that is one cool looking santa.

courtney said...

Great advice- I think we aren't too far behind you with that "talk" with our oldest!
CourtneyS